Monday, November 11, 2013

Vocabulary Reading Response

I like this activity because this is something that children can use to build their vocabulary. Having words posted around your classroom show that you support reading.This week's blog happens to be the same subject as my reading inquiry. Vocabulary has probably been one of my favorite skills to learn ever since I can remember. Even to this day, professors of all subjects are still teaching you new words from literature to astronomy. Building a larger vocabulary allows for more difficult books to become easier to understand. I thought it was really interesting that in Blachowicz' article it states that "a young student's reading vocabulary usually runs about two years behind their oral vocabulary". In my opinion, I have always thought that I read difficult material such as Jane Austen and Dickens, but used a limited vocabulary when talking to friends, family, and other students. The only time that I expand my vocabulary is in front of professors. My question would be, is it based on what students could communicate orally or is it based on an actual study? Also, does the study include children from limited and broad resources or is it restricted to one type of student?

I absolutely LOVED this vocabulary game and thought it was great for all subjects!:
I used this with math vocabulary terms and they loved it!

Sources:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/187180928236238307/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/487303622151426991/
Blachowicz. Fisher. Vocabulary Lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment