Monday, November 25, 2013

Teaching Excellence




Literacy Organization Helps Struggling Children


Both of the articles I read this week by Frey & Fisher and Pinnell gave me great ideas for when I begin my teaching career. When I get nervous that I won't be ready in time or have the proper skills set like the teachers who have been at my school for years, I remember that we are all following the same basic mold, but I have freedom to be a bit individualistic like Pinnell points out in her fifth bullet point. The charts from the Frey & Fisher articles are also extremely useful when it comes to discovering how much my student knows by showing all of the different types of questions I could pose and how to respond to their answers. I especially loved the Instructional Decision Making Tree which provides a very basic outline of a great strategy to approaching a young reader. It's also a very easy model to tweak depending on the different backgrounds and levels of my students. All in all, I found these readings to be extremely encouraging to teachers, especially ones starting out. Pinnell's encouragement to form a teaching community gives me so much hope that I will be a part of a school with a great colleague environment complete with book clubs. My question would be towards the Pinnell article having to deal with the situation in which a teacher is given a whole new curriculum. She states that the teacher can have individualistic means to follow this structure, but would she or he be required to tell the principle or explain her approach? I also wondered how she or he would react if the basic curriculum guides were not working in his or her classroom? 

Below is a cute Christmas Reading Recovery!
                                            Christmas early reader from a Reading Recovery teacher.  $
Here is a link to a cool blogpost on different Reading Recovery techniques for teachers!:

Frey. Fisher. "Identifying Instructional Moves During Guided Learning".
Pinnell. "Every Child a Reader: What One Teacher Can Do".

No comments:

Post a Comment